Monday, May 7, 2007

Getting to know Iasi





Tuesday we met at one to walk around the city and get a better feel for it. We ran into the sister missionaries when we were meeting, and I am excited to get to know them better. They seem like girls I would be friends with if we were all at BYU right now. We also ran into some of the Elders as we walked down the street, handing out free English classes fliers. One Elder told us that his companion was a greenie, and I really don’t think his companion liked it all that much. They gave us some of the fliers to hand out (a lot of them). I felt too bewildered by everything around me and a little lost, but Kaitlyn decided that passing them out was her personal mission of the day. She gave one out to anyone that would take one, and I would guess she handed out at least thirty fliers. We had a girl named Chirstina as our guide, and she is a “perpetual investigator” who has almost graduated from college. She is way nice and I really like her. She took us around and told us a lot about the city. We walked by a lot of landmarks that I can’t remember the names of, butt they included the oldest printing press in Romania, the people’s palace, a bunch of statues of old rulers, the biggest church in Iasi, and this really cool set of stairs that looked like they came out of a fairytale book. There were several miniature balconies that I expected to see Rapunzel tumble down from at any moment. So Catherine went up the stairs, stood in a little balcony, and let down her hair so that we could take a picture as I pretended to climb up. We also found a cute little pastry shop where I had some of the best baklava I’ve ever eaten.
I think I am going to get fat here. Or at least become broke if I take advantage of so many good things to eat. I will probably eat my body weight in juice and pastries before I leave. But I figure I might as well live a little and experience what Romania has to offer. I had no idea this city would be so beautiful. I love that it is so green and there is an abundance of trees.

No comments: